Thursday, January 26, 2006

Australia Day !!!!


I came from the dreamtime from the dusty red soil plains I am the ancient heart, the keeper of the flame I stood upon the rocky shore I watched the tall ships come For forty thousand years I'd been the first Australian.

I came upon the prison ship bowed down by iron chains. I cleared the land, endured the lash and waited for the rains.I'm a settler. I'm a farmer's wife on a dry and barren run A convict then a free man I became Australian.

I'm the daughter of a digger who sought the mother lodeThe girl became a woman on the long and dusty roadI'm a child of the depressionI saw the good times comeI'm a bushy, I'm a battlerI am Australian

We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on earth we come We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian I am, you are, we are Australian.

I'm a teller of storiesI'm a singer of songsI am Albert NamatjiraI paint the ghostly gumsI am Clancy on his horseI'm Ned Kelly on the runI'm the one who waltzed MatildaI am Australian

I'm the hot wind from the desertI'm the black soil of the plainsI'm the mountains and the valleysI'm the drought and flooding rainsI am the rock, I am the skyThe rivers when they runThe spirit of this great landI am Australian

We are one, but we are many And from all the lands on earth we come We share a dream and sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian I am, you are, we are Australian.

No comments: